- About TRLC
- Protected Lands
Job Announcement – Land Stewardship Internship
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED – NO ADDITIONAL APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED
Land Stewardship Internship
CLICK HERE FOR PDF OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT
Tar River Land Conservancy (TRLC) seeks applications for a 12-week internship during the summer of 2023. This internship will provide extensive exposure to and hands on experience with a regionally-based land trust. TRLC preserves the natural and cultural resources of the Upper Tar River Basin and surrounding areas by working in partnership with private landowners, public agencies and others to protect rural land, riparian corridors and ensure clean water. Since the TRLC was founded in 2000, we have protected over 22,850 acres of land through outright property acquisitions and through permanent conservation easements. The Land Stewardship Intern will work at TRLC’s office at 121 N. Main Street in Louisburg, Franklin County, NC. Remote work is not available for this position.
PRIMARY DUTIES OF INTERNSHIP:
1. Conduct onsite inspections of properties, including those with conservation easements and TRLC fee-owned properties.
2. Assist staff with all preparatory and follow up tasks related to easement and property inspections, including maintenance of files and photographic records, updating protected lands database, updating stewardship database and preparing property inspection reports.
3. Assist in the management and organization of TRLC land protection and stewardship files in accordance with its Records Policy.
4. Assist with land management tasks such as trail building, trail maintenance, and property boundary marking.
5. Organize and work with volunteers to complete stewardship and land management tasks.
6. Conduct basic GIS analysis and prepare maps, spreadsheets, and draft reports.
7. Collect field data on properties targeted for protection to evaluate natural, recreational and cultural resources.
8. Assist with other appropriate projects as assigned.
9. Travel extensively throughout the 8-county watershed (Person, Granville, Franklin, Vance, Warren, Halifax, Nash and Edgecombe Counties) to perform these duties.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
1. Commitment to the mission of the TRLC to conserve private working landscapes and significant natural and cultural resources using conservation easements and other tools.
2. Completion of or progress towards a degree in natural resources management, forestry, agriculture, wildlife management or related discipline.
3. Excellent writing, organizational and record keeping skills.
4. Experience using ESRI ArcGIS and MS Word, Outlook, and Excel.
5. Ability to work outdoors in the summer heat and humidity and in rugged conditions using compass, maps, GPS equipment and carrying field equipment.
6. Ability to function productively as both a member of a work team and independently.
7. Ability to work independently in the field.
8. Ability to work effectively to meet deadlines.
9. Possess a valid driver’s license with a safe driving record.
The Land Stewardship Intern will be compensated at a rate of $16.50/hour. Start and end dates of internship are negotiable. The applicant should identify his/her proposed start and end dates in a cover letter. The Intern is responsible for finding local housing during the internship.
This position is open until filled. Send a cover letter, resume, transcripts, and list of three references either by mail or email to:
Tar River Land Conservancy
Attn: Amy R. Edge
P.O. Box 1161
Louisburg, NC 27549