- About TRLC
- Protected Lands
Job Opportunity – Administrative Assistant
Summary of the Position: Tar River Land Conservancy (TRLC) seeks applications for a 20-hour/week Administrative Assistant. Preferred work hours are 9:00 am-1:00 pm Monday-Friday, although the schedule is negotiable. The Administrative Assistant will work at TRLC’s office at 121 N. Main Street in Louisburg, Franklin County, NC. Remote work is not available for this position. Applications will be reviewed starting June 13, and will be accepted until the position is filled.
About TRLC: TRLC’s mission is to protect natural resources by working in partnership with private landowners, governmental partners, and supporters to acquire conservation easements and properties. Since 2000, TRLC has protected 22,962 acres of land across Edgecombe, Franklin, Granville, Halifax, Nash, Person, Vance and Warren Counties, NC. TRLC is working to acquire more conservation easements and properties to protect water quality and streams, working farms and forest, wildlife habitat and natural areas, and recreational open space. TRLC hosts periodic events for supporters and donors, including nature hikes, educational talks, service projects, paddle trips, and fundraisers. Annually, 200-300 volunteers help TRLC with projects and tasks, including mailings, property monitoring, land stewardship, tree plantings, trail building, cleanups, and event support. TRLC maintains public hiking trails on four nature preserves and plans to open additional preserves in the future.
Essential Duties of the Position:
Donor and Donation Data Management
- Provide timely communications and response to donors and supporters.
- Enter confidential data into donor database.
- Prepare acknowledgement letters to donors and supporters.
- Maintain electronic and physical files for donors.
- Work with other staff to plan, organize, and advertise volunteer opportunities.
- Distribute information about volunteer opportunities, including using online platforms.
- Serve as point of contact for volunteer workdays.
- Coordinate the collection of volunteer applications and workday sign-in sheets.
- Maintain electronic records for volunteers and workdays.
- Coordinate with TRLC’s photographer to collect and archive pictures and videos of events, conservation properties, and projects.
- Work with other staff and TRLC Board members staff to plan, organize, and advertise events. Help create an annual events calendar.
- Serve as point of contact for event registrants, helpers, and vendors.
- Coordinate registration and help prepare for each TRLC event.
- Maintain electronic records for each TRLC event.
Land Stewardship Support
- Support the Land Stewardship Team by drafting letters, communicating with landowners, updating tracking sheets and property binders, and scanning and filing records.
- Provide support for property lease renewals, including billing, signing of agreements, and communication with lessees.
Board of Directors Support
- Perform administrative tasks for Board-related activities, including scheduling meetings, tracking attendance, facilitating logistics, gathering meeting materials, and setting up meeting rooms.
- Prepare event, volunteer, membership and donor summary reports for the Executive Director and the Board of Directors.
General Administrative Support
- Perform general reception duties, including greeting visitors and answering phones.
- Collect, scan, and distribute incoming mail, and manage office deliveries.
- Scan and help organize other TRLC files.
- Communicate with donors, supporters, volunteers, landowners, vendors, and partners.
- Enter data into forms and spreadsheets.
- Maintain office supplies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Experience and Skills Required:
- Possess the education and work experience commensurate with job duties.
- Appreciate and support conservation of natural places and be comfortable being outdoors.
- Proficiency using MS Word, Outlook, and Excel. Experience with MS Publisher is ideal.
- Excellent writing, organizational and record keeping skills.
- Able to meet deadlines and work productively both as a team member and independently.
- Able to communicate professionally with people from a wide variety of backgrounds.
- Able to work on occasional weekends to support events, volunteer workdays, and business meetings (although not expected on a regular basis).
- Possess a valid driver’s license with a safe driving record.
- Able to lift at least twenty-five pounds.
To Apply: This position is open until filled. Send a cover letter, resume, list of three references, and a one-page writing sample by email to Amy Edge, Associate Director/General Counsel, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Administrative Assistant” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Tar River Land Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply for this position.